I have to admit I’m much more excited about starting this year than last year at this time. Think about it, we can do intramurals, field trips, group work, recess with all grades, hot lunches (yummmm), and the list goes on. We can’t wait to get started!! (see ahead for our covid plan)
Our theme this year is GAME ON!!! We are ready to get started. The best way to succeed in a game is to have a strategy or game plan laid out. One of our goals this year is to help all of our students develop a game plan. Students must intentionally think through what is required to complete an assignment, how much time they have, the tools that are required, how to schedule study time, etc. In light of this all students will use an agenda (either digital or paper) and staff will focus on these executive functioning skills.
Here are some other notes to start the 2021 - 2022 school year:
1. The First Day of School is August 31st and we start at 8:30. You are welcome to bring your child to school. Parents are invited to come on in and help your child get settled. Our pancake breakfast will be on September 2nd at 9:30 and will be served outside -- please plan to join us!
2. You can access your child’s class schedule, this year’s calendar and school supply lists through our website. The school supply lists were included in the mailed envelope at the end of June and can still be ordered through www.schoolstart.ca or in the document list on our website. The schedule/ timetable is available under about and documents. If you have any trouble just send me a text and I’ll forward things your way.
3. We do have some new staff in the building. Mr. Paul Doig is our new science teacher. You’re going to love him and his nerdy love for math is almost equal to Mrs. Cayford. Miss Van Esch is working with Mrs. Sweetman. She will have grade 7/8 and 10 English. Gerilynn is a PS III student teacher through the University of Lethbridge. We will also have several new EAs added to our team. Those are just being confirmed.
4. Please know we have an open door. You are always welcome in the school. If you EVER have questions or concerns please don’t hesitate to give me a call. We are in partnership with parents and I firmly believe we work better together. Your first line of communication is through your child’s teacher but I am always willing to help in any way I can.
It really is a privilege to be part of Lomond Community School. Please don’t hesitate to contact me at any time (403-331-5552) or email@example.com.
Looking forward to the new school year,
I’ve had some questions this week about covid and how this will impact us starting school. Although we do intend to return to a “normal” school routine we will continue with some of our practices. Some of these are things we’ve always done ----
- students will continue to sanitize periodically through the day.
- if your child is feeling ill he/ she should stay home.
- if you would like your child to wear a mask they are more than welcome to.
- we will not be holding large assemblies or indoor gatherings until things settle.
- our students will have a variety of classes outdoors until the weather changes. This allows us to enjoy the weather and take advantage of the open air.
We will continue to be cautious and both our division and government are monitoring the situation closely. I will be sure to communicate updates often. Last year was very successful in Lomond and we anticipate another covid free year!!